Re: 2119bis

2011-09-01 15:28:59
Keith Moore wrote:
On Sep 1, 2011, at 2:58 AM, Hector wrote:

  6. Guidance in the use of these Imperatives

  Imperatives of the type defined in this memo must be used with care
  and sparingly.  In particular, they MUST only be used where it is
  actually required for interoperation or to limit behavior which has
  potential for causing harm (e.g., limiting retransmisssions)  For
  example, they must not be used to try to impose a particular method
  on implementors where the method is not required for
  interoperability.

That last sentence is so clear. Maybe the error is not using an uppercase MUST NOT and NOT REQUIRED in that last sentence. Maybe software people need logic statements like:

I actually think that the last sentence is overbroad. There are other defensible reasons to use the 2119 keywords than those enumerated in the document. And those words can be (and have been) interpreted in such a way as to compel working groups to fail to make design choices, and to permit too many alternative choices in implementations.

Keith

Keith, I feel ya.

I once presented a paper at a trade conference presenting the idea of:

      Cooperative Competition  (COCOMP)

It touch based with the growing industry of competitors trying to work well around new standards of communications. The issue of alternative choices in implementations was becoming harder to support, more complex, etc. Especially on the mail side which was rapidly changing and each adding their own twist or proprietary feature that added value to their product lines. COCOMP proposed the central idea that there are ways to have your cake and eat it as long as we have:

  a) A understanding of minimum standard requirements that NO ONE can
     twist and turn, and

  b) and also offer added value, if you wish, using a standard
     method to extend your offerings for implementators to follow,
     if they want.

The MUST and the SHOULD|MAYs.

So the issues we see here has always been the case and you can't avoid them. When you have technology leaders that many follow, you have to be careful that quite often they offer extensions that only apply to their product line.

That is what that last sentence pretty much touches base with, its a great insight of the realities of dealing with different implementators.

I think "Cooperative Competition" is the name of game here. Its why all the vendors get together, that compete in the market place, but we hopefully cooperative for a common goal.

RFC2119 needs to focus on establishing the minimum conformance requirements for a protocol or a suite of protocols yet we need to understand that not everything is required or need to be imposed across the board because its not just about one mainstream vendor or technology leader interest but the entire community interest. I can't impose my product features on anyone and its not proper for another vendor to impose its wishes on others. Even if they feel its for the "Common Goal" not everyone is going to agree its a "All or Nothing" concept.

--
HLS