Re: Pre-IETF RFCs to Historic (not really proposing)

2011-09-16 14:18:17
* Cyrus Daboo wrote:
Again I would like to bring up the idea of every RFC having an associated
wiki page(s). The goal here is to provide a way for implementors to add
comments, annotations, clarifications, corrections etc to augment the RFCs.
Whilst such commentary can often be found on IETF mailing lists after an
RFC is published locating those and searching them can be tedious - plus
the full history of discussion on various points is often not relevant to
an implementor - all they need to know is what is the correct way to do it
now.

It seems unlikely to me that a Wiki would be the right medium for this,
and expecting people to provide summaries of discussions is something I
would find problematic in practise, and I am not sure how the existing
errata system doesn't handle this already, but it should be easy to in-
stall an RT system akin to the one attached to CPAN. When you find some
problem with a Perl module, you can send mail to bug-<dist>@rt.cpan.org
and your mail, alongside replies, with the possibility to close issues
and other things you might expect of a bug tracking system. This could
be done for each RFC aswell (fancy issues like problems with multiple
ones and the corresponding cross-posting included).

Another option would be to simply collect links people found relevant,
some W3C Working Groups employ a system that lets you say "keyword" in
a mail and the mail will be linked from a tracking system, hopefully by
now there is also an IRC interface to that, so you can tag messages at
later points. Collective discussion curating, let it even be as simple
as being able to "tag" certain messages and share those tags, so you'd
be able to, say, mark frequently asked questions thus so the FAQ can be
updated to cover them, is a feature I always missed in Usenet. The only
vaguely working system that has since developed this that I know of is
the family of StackExchange sites, but those do not really translate to
this.
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern(_at_)hoehrmann(_dot_)de ·
http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de