Re: RIP, Einar Stefferud, 1930-2011

2011-09-25 21:24:08
Nathaniel,

Thanks for passing this along.

I had the pleasure of working for Stef almost 50 years ago.  I was a freshman
at UCLA in 1961.  Stef was on the staff of the Western Data Processing Center
(WDPC), one of two major data centers IBM had set up with universities to
foster the use of computing within business schools.  WDPC had the IBM 700/7000
series scientific computer -- a 709, followed by a 7090, a 7094 and then a
large 360 series machine.

As it happened, I started to work for Stef exactly on my 17th birthday in
mid-October, so I remember the date easily.  Stef had previously spent time at
CMU where, among many other things, he had learned IPL-V, a pioneering list
processing language that was shortly superseded by LISP.  Stef and his boss had
a project to write an IPL-V compiler, and although the project didn't reach
fruition, it opened my eyes to a rich set of possibilities.

Stef was indeed a kind man.  He was a pleasure to work for and I felt very
fortunate to have encountered him early in my career.  We crossed paths in the
IETF and in the payments business -- I was involved in a start up competitive
with First Virtual -- and always enjoyed a lively exchange.  I will miss him.

Steve