Re: Need help tracking down problem accessing IETF Subversionrepository on Mac OS X

2011-09-27 04:23:37
--- Original Message -----
From: "Yoav Nir" <ynir(_at_)checkpoint(_dot_)com>
To: "Paul Hoffman" <paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org>
Cc: "Stuart Cheshire" <cheshire(_at_)apple(_dot_)com>; "IETF-Discussion list"
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 10:11 PM

On Sep 26, 2011, at 5:25 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

On Sep 25, 2011, at 7:20 PM, Stuart Cheshire wrote:

% svn info https://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/hybi
svn: OPTIONS of 'https://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/hybi': SSL negotiation
failed: SSL error code -1/1/336032856 (https://svn.tools.ietf.org)

If you're on a Mac, can you please try this command for me and let me know
if it works for you or gives the 336032856 error?

Happens to everyone with a Mac. Someone else will chime in before we
Californians wake up tomorrow saying what the problem is. Speculation on a
different list was that this is a mismatch between SSL library versions with
some interaction with the new TLS renegotiation fix, but I haven't seen
substantiation.

I guess you're awake by now, but here goes. I'm attaching a tcpdump capture.

The client sends a SNI extension with the name "svn.tools.ietf.org". For some
reason the server does not recognize the name. This is particularly puzzling
because the CommonName in the server certificate is "*.tools.ietf.org", which is
usually considered a match. The server

<tp>
Unfortunately, we now also have RFC6125 which encourages people to
"  o  Move away from including and checking strings that look like
      domain names in the subject's Common Name."
in a slightly different, but closely related, context.  It seems unlikely that
this advice is having an impact so soon, but it is another source of
potential confusion.

Tom Petch

sends a warning-level "unrecognized name" alert, and the client breaks the
connection.  Here's what RFC 6066 has to say on the subject:

         If the server understood the ClientHello extension but
   does not recognize the server name, the server SHOULD take one of two
   actions: either abort the handshake by sending a fatal-level
   unrecognized_name(112) alert or continue the handshake.  It is NOT
   RECOMMENDED to send a warning-level unrecognized_name(112) alert,
   because the client's behavior in response to warning-level alerts is
   unpredictable.

Unpredictable indeed.

Anyway, the server is wrong to send the alert on two counts: the name does
match, and the warning-level alert violates a "NOT RECOMMENDED"/

OTOH, the client should not abort on a warning level alert.

My opinion: it's the server that is more wrong.

Yoav