Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-pim-port-08.txt> (A Reliable TransportMechanism for PIM) to Experimental RFC

2011-09-27 04:54:46
The choice of service name for this transport seems unfortunate; having a port
number registry with a service in it called 'port' may be witty but seems like a
source of future confusion.

I notice that IANA currently have a service name of 'pim-port' which seems a
better idea and one that I think that this I-D should adopt.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "The IESG" <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
To: "IETF-Announce" <ietf-announce(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: <pim(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 9:40 PM
Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-pim-port-08.txt> (A Reliable TransportMechanism
for PIM) to Experimental RFC

The IESG has received a request from the Protocol Independent Multicast
WG (pim) to consider the following document:
- 'A Reliable Transport Mechanism for PIM'
  <draft-ietf-pim-port-08.txt> as an Experimental RFC

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2011-10-10. Exceptionally, comments
may be
sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case, please retain the

Abstract

   This document defines a reliable transport mechanism for the PIM
   protocol for transmission of Join/Prune messages.  This eliminates
   the need for periodic Join/Prune message transmission and processing.
   The reliable transport mechanism can use either TCP or SCTP as the
   transport protocol.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-port/

IESG discussion can be tracked via