Re: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt> (The Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM) to Informational RFC

2011-09-29 10:13:15
Tom,

Please see in line below.

Regards,

Malcolm

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau(_at_)lucidvision(_dot_)com>
Sent by: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
29/09/2011 09:18 AM

huubatwork(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
cc
The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>, ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org,
IETF-Announce
<ietf-announce(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject
Re: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt> (The
Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM)        to
Informational RFC

                 A few more thoughts on this thread.

All,

I propose to completely remove section 5 of this draft.

The reason:

The IETF should *NOT* document any comment on any "multiple standards"
developed by other SDOs which are outside of the IETF's scope.

Especially standards like like SONET/SDH, CDMA/GSM.

The current text reflects the author's impressions, and since I don't
believe that the authors were involved in the debates when these
standards were developed, they *DO NOT KNOW ENOUGH* to comment
authoritatively on them.

                 Why do you suddenly think that it is important for only
people with knowledge of a topic to contribute to standards? Where does
that leave the ITU-T's input on MPLS?  I can give you many examples of
where people who had no qualification as "experts" in a particular field
have contributed to standards, but I will refrain from doing so so as to
not "offend other SDOs" as you say below. 8)

[MB] This individual draft is now in IETF last call.  At this stage it
should represent the opinion of those who are experts in the field.
Clearly during the development of a draft all interested participants,
expert or not, should provide input.

Best regards, Huub.