RE: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt> (The Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM) to Informational RFC

2011-10-05 14:03:02
Hi,

Here's the review I promised earlier. I still think it would be best to not
publish the draft for the reasons I mentioned earlier. In case the IETF wants
to move this document forward I think at least a number of things need to
change:

a) The document makes a number of assertions that I think are not correct. E.g.
it states that the solutions must be implementable in software. I cannot recall
that there was any assertion about whether some, all or none of the things that
the requirements documents prescribe should be build in HW or SW. A vendor
needs to build equipment that fulfills the requirements, the standard needs to
specify mechanisms that fulfill the requirements. If a vendor can build it in
SW fine, if it has to be done in HW fine. But the main point is that everything
needs to fulfill the specs which fulfill the requirements.

b) The complexity sausage needs to go. The section does not help the goal of
the document or the relevant parts are duplicated later in the text.

c) Some text passages are overly dramatic and could use a little down-toning
(e.g. " (something that would inevitably drive all customers away!)"). Others
use absolute figures for speculative things (like increases cost by a factor of
two etc.). Yet others are not very polite to certain vendors like "forces all
serious router vendors to implement both protocols". I am not sure the IETF
wants to call router vendors to be "not serious" if they only implement either
OSPF or ISIS. The basic message is the text needs a serious cleanup of language.

d) Section 6 needs to go. I do not think that these coexistence models are
agreed by the wider IETF community and I don't think they help the message of
the document.

e) The document should provide more references for some of the statements that
caused dispute on the list.

Best,

Rolf

NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3
6BL | Registered in England 2832014