Re: SORBS blacklist

2011-10-06 00:24:33
On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Joel Jaeggli <joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On Jul 1, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Kurt Zeilenga wrote:

On Jul 1, 2011, at 10:10 AM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

the ietf has some of the more heavily and consistently moderated mailing
lists on the planet.

but how well does the IETF do in not producing email in response to SPAM?
Seems the IETF generates a lot of backscatter, and aside from scattering
this to individual boxes all over the Internet, it's going to scatter into
various spam traps… and that's likely to cause a listing in any services
that use spam traps.  Those who implement spam traps do put filters on them,
so that commonly produced bounces don't cause listing, but it's had to deal
with the many custom bounce messages (especially ones which don't use
standard headers to indicate they are auto-generated).

Has anyone examined all the various sorts of auto-generated messages the
IETF produces to make sure they are reasonably detected as auto-generated
messages?

That should be part of us doing our part to help deal with SPAM.

I watch all the bounces for about half a dozen of  the high traffic lists.

Can you (or anyone else) confirm the IETF status ? DId we get off of
the blacklist?

Regards
Marshall

One of the more annoying things I see is bounces from subscribed members due
to the sender being listed somewhere. when this happens with frequency those
particapants that bounce messages to mailman get ejects from the list... We
don't have the luxury of just ejecting someone from list because the source
ip they are using today is listed in spamhaus but if you recject enough mail
from us you're going to fall off.

Honestly I think the backscatter is frankly rather low as a purportion of net
volume but the volume is large.

A busy day on the ietf discuss list bursts out to a few hundred thousand
messages however, for a single list.

-- Kurt