Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-6man-rpl-routing-header-04.txt

2011-10-25 13:40:45
I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft. For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>

Please resolve these comments along with any other comments you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-6man-rpl-routing-header-04.txt
Reviewer: Miguel Garcia <miguel(_dot_)a(_dot_)garcia(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com>
Review Date: 2011-10-23
IETF LC End Date: 2011-10-31

Major issues: none

Minor issues:

- Section 2 is titled "Overview". As such, I was expecting to find descriptive text that makes the reader easier to understand the technology that will be later described in detail and in a more normative way. However, this Section contains a number of normative texts already (MUSTs and MAYs), which defeats the purpose of an Overview Section. I wonder whether those MUSTs and MAYs words need to be really written there in that way, or whether the Overview section can be written in descriptive non-normative way.

My recommendation: Turn all this normative text into informative. Make sure that the normative text is written elsewhere later in the document.

- Section 2, second paragraph, says:

   Third, routers along the way MUST verify that loops do not exist with
   in the source route.

I don't know how to digest this sentence. If I am implementing the protocol, is there something I can do to comply with the "MUST"? Or is this "MUS"T addressing the operation of the network? I think it is a good recommendation for network administrators, in which case, it should be exactly like that, a recommendation, not normative. But please clarify the intention.

- Section 2, bullet points 1 and 2. Is there a reason why the "should" in the bullet point 1 is non-normative and the "SHOULD" in the second bullet point is normative?

/Miguel

--
Miguel A. Garcia
+34-91-339-3608