Re: The death John McCarthy

2011-10-27 17:17:41
On 2011-10-28 11:04, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Thursday, October 27, 2011 14:08 -0700 Bob Hinden
<bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

I request that the relevant authors and IETF working group
rename what it currently calls "LISP" to something else.  To
put it politely, the IETF should be standing on the shoulders
of the giants who have laid the groundwork of the Internet,
not stepping on their toes.

I strongly support this.

More generally, I wish we would just stop using names for WGs
that are widely understood to mean something else in computer
science, software engineering, or networking.  Despite good
intentions, it cannot be a mark of respect or homage when the WG
name overlays a term the refers to a particular invention or
development.  At least IMO, the cuteness wears off very quickly
and only confusion or disrespect are left.

Especially since the IETF "LISP" is a misnomer; it is not a
locator/identifier split. It's a global locator to site locator
mapping. This was pointed out some time ago...

   Brian