Re: The death John McCarthy

2011-10-27 19:20:43
On 10/27/2011 02:04 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
More generally, I wish we would just stop using names for WGs
that are widely understood to mean something else in computer
science, software engineering, or networking.

Yes, and the car/cdr jokes were funny once-each.  That
said, at this point the LISP protocol stuff has been around
a bunch of years and changing its name would probably be
more confusing than not changing its name.  I'm not sure
it's a good idea to change this one but I think it's an
excellent idea to be more mindful in the future.

[not buying the "'LISP' as homage" stuff.  Someone thought it was
funny.  I can think of exactly one protocol that, for example,
uses S-expressions, the sort of thing which would seem to show some
actual regard for the work]

Melinda