Re: The death John McCarthy

2011-10-27 19:16:10
Hi Bob,

I request that the relevant authors and IETF working group rename what it
currently calls "LISP" to something else.  To put it politely, the IETF should
be standing on the shoulders of the giants who have laid the groundwork of the
Internet, not stepping on their toes.

I commend your sincerity and your admiration for Dr McCarthy. It's a sad
event for the A.I world.

While the name of the IETF Work and the Language is identical I actually
don't see that as a problem, nor do I think it crushes anyone's toes - or at
least no one has suggested it to me. The people who know the foundations for
LISt Processing (LISP) will quickly assess the IETF Locator/ID Separation
Protocol (LISP) as completely different contexts.

For the beige bodies in between, does it matter that there is a small
confusion that requires 10 seconds of google-fu?

That stated, I'm quite happy to see the use of the LISP acronym used as a
homage to Dr McCarthy, and since LISP (the WG) is in a re-charter phase I'm
happy (with LISP WG co-chair hat off) to suggest a small paragraph at the
start of the draft charter which highlights the difference and pays respect
to Dr McCarthy.

Cheers
Terry