Re: NomCom 2011-2012 feedback

2011-11-01 18:56:08
Hi John,
  Thanks for your comments. Please see my response inline.

On 11-11-01 04:48 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Sunday, October 30, 2011 23:01 -0400 Suresh Krishnan
<suresh(_dot_)krishnan(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com> wrote:

I noticed that the term "transparency of the process" only
appears in  two of the three questionnaires.  Is there a
reason for the omission?

The omission is intentional. The text in question
("transparency of the process") is about the handling of
appeals. Since the IAOC is not involved in the handling of
appeals the text does not appear in the IAOC questionnaire,

But, Suresh, one of the more critical issues faced by the IAOC
is precisely about transparency of process, even if it is not
about appeals.  The IESG and IAB have gotten hugely better about
transparency in recent years -- narrative minutes and much more
tracking that is available to the community for the former and
clear opportunities for community review and feedback on
documents and other important actions for the latter.  I think
the Nomcom should understand how candidates feel about that sort
of transparency, but I wouldn't expect anyone to tell you that
more secrecy would be in order.

I agree with you, but I was not talking about whether "transparency of
process" would be good for the IAOC or not. I was answering the question
on why the text about handling appeals (that includes the words in
question) only occurs on the IAB and IESG questionnaires. That is why I
requested SM to send this feedback to the nomcom so that the *voting
members* can decide whether this is something they want to consider
during their evaluations. The voting members do want to listen to what
the community considers important and they can only do that if people
provide their feedback. I request you to send a note to the
nomcom11(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org list with your views so that all the voting members
can be apprised.

Thanks
Suresh