INLP, Loc-ID Separation & Loc-ID Overloaded IP addresses

2011-11-02 23:43:15
Short version:  Ran objects to some things I wrote about his ILNP
                protocol - which was chosen in preference to the LISP
                protocol, IRON, Ivip and many others by the IRTF
                Routing Research Group co-chairs as their recommended
                scalable routing protocol for further IETF development
                (RFC-6115).

                However, he does not mention what statements he
                disagrees with.  He simply refers readers to a bunch of
                papers and some Internet Drafts at his site.

                Below is a list of things I wrote about ILNP and why I
                wrote them.

Hi Ran,

In the thread "Re: The death John McCarthy - LISP, HIP & GSE" you wrote:

Gentle Folks,

Robin Whittle either hasn't read the ILNP documents
and published papers or he hasn't understood them.
His characterisation of ILNP on this list is
not correct in a wide range of dimensions.  Folks
who want to learn more about ILNP might consider
starting at this web site:
      <http://ilnp.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk>

I'm not a LISP or HIP expert or spokesperson,
but I also doubt that his characterisations
of LISP or HIP are correct.

Yours,

Ran

This is all very broad-brush, as if you are too busy to help IETF list
people understand exactly which statements about ILNP you dispute.
Likewise you don't help the readers by directing them to any particular
documents at your site.  I recall that many of your messages to the IRTF
Routing Research Group list were of a similar form.

In recent IETF list messages I have characterised ILNP as:

  0 - A member of the Locator-Identifier Separation class of
      scalable routing protocols.

and the following I wrote about all Loc-ID Separation protocols:

  1 - They are IPv6-only.

  2 - They require rewritten stacks and applications.

  3 - They require hosts to send and receive more packets and do
      more work (than the current arrangements) in order to respond to
      a communication, when (as is often the case) it is important that
      the reply packet must go to no other host than the one which has
      the Identity specified as the source in the initiating packet.

  4 - They can't support mobility with MNs behind NAT or handle Loc
      changes fast enough for VoIP.

If there is something else I wrote which you object to, please write
about it to the list.  Likewise regarding any specific disagreements you
have with what I wrote about the LISP protocol and HIP.

Point 3 above is a critique of ILNP, HIP and GSE - or any other protocol
which I regard as being of the "Locator-Identifier Separation" class
(this does not include the LISP protocol).  I argue that such protocols
impose extra burdens of work, delays and extra packets going in and out
of a host which responds to an incoming communication initiation in a
way which requires its response not to be delivered to any host which
does not have the Identity specified in the sender field of the
initiating packet.  That's a rather long sentence, but it means that the
simple process we have with today's "Loc-ID overloaded IP address"
arrangement - of responding to the initiating packet's source IP address
- is something which sometimes, probably frequently, can't be done with
Loc-ID Separation.

  If a host ABC receives a communication request with the IP address
  XYZ in the source field (which in today's "overloaded" arrangement
  acts as both a host/endpoint Identifier and routing Locator) then
  ABC can send a reply packet straight back to the XYZ IP address
  without doing any lookups, knowing that the routing system will
  either deliver it to the host which has this IP address (or to one of
  multiple hosts, in the case of anycast) - or the packet will be
  dropped.

  So ABC can craft its reply with whatever information it wants host
  XYZ to have, but would not want any other host to have - and send it
  to IP address XYZ.

  This is still true if, as is possible, the source address of the
  initiating packet is spoofed.

  So in the current "overloaded" arrangement, a host can respond
  immediately and without any lookups.

  With Loc-ID Separation, to achieve the same assurance, ABC would need
  to do a mapping lookup of the Identifier which came in the initiating
  packet, and send the reply to one of the resulting Locators (assuming
  the Identifier was for a multi-homed host, meaning there would be at
  least two Locators).  This requires sending at least one packet to
  the global mapping system, which after some delay (due to its global
  geographic size, and due to the need for real-time non-cached
  authoritative query servers) would return a single packet of mapping
  information to ABC, with the Locators and some other stuff regarding
  which one to choose in preference to the others.  (Maybe the mapping
  would be too long for the and would need to go in two packets - or
  maybe it would be sent as a long packet in IPv6, which was too long
  for some part of the path near ABC, and so it would be dropped
  with a packet-to-big response, causing the query server to send the
  same information again in shorter packets - assuming the query server
  cached its response for this purpose.)

  Assuming the map reply packet arrives, then ABC can proceed to send a
  reply to XYZ, knowing it will get to XYZ or be dropped (and therefore
  will not to to any host other than XYZ), by sending the packet to one
  of the specified Locators.  If the mapping query or response packet
  gets lost, ABC will need to wait two or so seconds to send a second
  query.

  This is bad enough for a host in a data centre.  It is much worse for
  a host ABC hanging off a possibly low data-rate, expensive,
  high-latency high packet loss mobile radio link such as 3G or
  whatever.

So my critique of Locator-Identifier Protocols is also of one of the
longest cherished wishes of quite a few IETF people, from the early 80s
to this day.  An early write-up of this wish is in RFC-1498, which was
originally written in 1982.