RE: LISP is not a Loc-ID Separation protocol

2011-11-02 23:20:53
    > From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred(_dot_)L(_dot_)Templin(_at_)boeing(_dot_)com>

    > on the subject of identifiers, Robin is right. What the IETF protocol
    > known as LISP calls "identifiers" are actually IP addresses. And, IP
    > addresses name *interfaces*; they do not name *end systems*.

I've had this same debate about 6 times, and it was boring after the first 2
or 3, but since you posted this to the main IETF list, I feel I ought to
briefly recap some of the points I have made before for the benefit of those
who haven't seen the previous N iterations.

LISP is intended for a variety of usage cases, and in _some_ the 'LEID' does
have _some_ location information (useful within a limited scope), but... in
others it has none at all. LISP is intended to work with unmodified hosts,
which means we're kind of limited in how radical a change we can make to the
semantics of various namespaces - we are not working with a clean sheet of
paper.

In at least one usage case, i) the 'LEID' is the address on an internal
'virtual' interface, and ii) _there is no route to that interface address
anywhere in the IGP/AS_. You may say 'well, it's still naming an interface',
to which I reply 'hey, it walks like an EID, quacks like an EID; it has
exactly the _semantics_ of an EID (i.e. pure identity, no location info of any
kind, cannot be used for forwarding anywhere) - what difference does it make
whether you call it a duck or an "interface address"'?

        Noel