Re: Request to publish draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point-01.txt

2011-12-05 09:50:55
Shouldn't this document be referred to MPLS WG and PWE3 WG so that we can discuss the merits and demerits of allocating yet another request for the code point... The name of the document suggests it has to do with the official ITU request for a code point ..but nowhere in the document does it actually say that... To me this is not part of Inter SDO communication and even if it was it should still get the approval of the MPLS and PWE3 WG before the code point assignment.

Azhar

t.petch wrote:
---- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Nadeau"<tnadeau(_at_)lucidvision(_dot_)com>
To: "Huub helvoort"<huub(_dot_)van(_dot_)helvoort(_at_)huawei(_dot_)com>
Cc: "Adrian Farrel"<adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>;
<draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point(_at_)tools(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org>; "The IESG"
<iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>;<Ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 2:40 PM

I disagree with the document shepherd's evaluation of this document. This
document sets out to
standardize an additional code point to support a type of OAM for MPLS, and as
such the MPLS WG must
review the document for technical correctness.  As far as I understand things,
all MPLS documents that have
requested ACH code points to-date have been on the standards track with MPLS
expert WG review, and so this
one should as well.

I don't doubt the history, but IANA gives a policy of
IETF Consensus (referencing [RFC4385]) which is defined as
" IETF Consensus - New values are assigned through the IETF
            consensus process. Specifically, new assignments are made via
            RFCs approved by the IESG. Typically, the IESG will seek
            input on prospective assignments from appropriate persons
            (e.g., a relevant Working Group if one exists)." [RFC2434]

If Standards Action had been the intention, then the WG should have
said so in RFC4385.

Tom Petch

--Tom