Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-05 09:51:53
On 12/4/11 9:04 AM, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:
For RFC 1918 space, the problem with picking it isn't so much that the ISP
can't pick one that consumer NATs don't use - it's that they can't pick one
that no Enterprise on a*different*  ISP uses.  For example, assume my employer
used 10.64.0.0/10 (they probably do somewhere), and connected to ISP-A.  I
connect to ISP-B using a 3GPP laptop-card, and get the same 10.64.0.0/10
address space.  I now cannot use a VPN to my employer, because of the resulting
conflict in the routing table in my laptop.  But there's nothing I nor
my*ISP-B*  can do about this, because my employer has been using that address
for a long time (legitimately) and is connected to*ISP-A*.

Doesn't this same problem exist if I'm currently attached to a CPE NAT that provides me with a 10.64.0.0/10 address and my VPN uses the same space? Are you saying that VPN software does not already deal with this?

pr

Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102