Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-04 13:27:43
On Dec 4, 2011 11:06 AM, "Hadriel Kaplan" <HKaplan(_at_)acmepacket(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Yes, I know that mobile networks have started going that way - which is
why I asked the question.  The reason we (the IETF) cannot possibly pick
the same RFC1918 address space is because those mobile networks now have
the problem I described: when you try to run your VPN client on that
laptop, if your employer's Enterprise private network happens to use the
same private address space as the mobile provider, it no workie. (assuming
the VPN connection succeeds to begin with, of course)

Started?  I would say most mobile data networks started with rfc1918 at the
inception of WAP mobile data services nearly 10 years ago and have stayed
that way, replacing WAP proxies with CGN 5 years ago.  This is not a novel
problem.

Regarding enterprise vpns, the client VPN abstracts the host routing to
make this work.  I am not sure which part you don't understand.  You do
know 1918 is in most home networks and most enterprises and it just works,
right ?

Sorry if I misunderstand your concern.

Cb

There is nothing the mobile provider can reasonably do about that, short
of charging more money for "VPN-capable" connections as some hotels and
access spots do.  Some providers would probably be fine with such a
charging model, but some providers I've talked to don't want to have such a
charging model and don't want to use the 10.x.x.x address space, but don't
have much choice since we haven't allocated a different one.

-hadriel
p.s. I didn't mean "cannot possibly" in the sense of it being technically
impossible, I meant it in the sense of it being a very bad idea. :)