Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-05 15:02:43

"Pete" == Pete Resnick <presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> writes:
    >> For RFC 1918 space, the problem with picking it isn't so much
    >> that the ISP can't pick one that consumer NATs don't use - it's
    >> that they can't pick one that no Enterprise on a*different* ISP
    >> uses.  For example, assume my employer used 10.64.0.0/10 (they
    >> probably do somewhere), and connected to ISP-A.  I connect to
    >> ISP-B using a 3GPP laptop-card, and get the same 10.64.0.0/10
    >> address space.  I now cannot use a VPN to my employer, because of
    >> the resulting conflict in the routing table in my laptop.  But
    >> there's nothing I nor my*ISP-B* can do about this, because my
    >> employer has been using that address for a long time
    >> (legitimately) and is connected to*ISP-A*.

    Pete> Doesn't this same problem exist if I'm currently attached to a
    Pete> CPE NAT that provides me with a 10.64.0.0/10 address and my
    Pete> VPN uses the same space? Are you saying that VPN software does
    Pete> not already deal with this?

It's not an easily solved problem, particularly if the VPN software is
not provided by the creator of the TCP/IP stack.  Even when it is
solved, it's still a horrible hack.

Most NAT boxes are routers that twiddle addresses.  They are not double
stack application gateways.

] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.