Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-04 10:09:42
Noel,

On 11-12-04 10:55 AM, "Noel Chiappa"
<jnc(_at_)mercury(_dot_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

I ask because I gather there are a lot of situations where e.g. a cable
modem
has an ISP-local address on its ISP-facing side, and a global IP address
(which the customer gets) on the customer side. (I see this in checking
out my
path to the Internet from my house - I see some 10.xx addresses on the
other
side of the cable modem.) Could a block of 240/ space be used for things
like
that?

This is a cable specific use case based on your comments.  I would
separate the CM (Modem) IP address and function from the customer (CPE)
addressing function.  I don't think ISPs have specifically claimed issues
with CM addressing but for the CPE customer side.

Also, consider the CM address ranges as somewhat transparent to the CPEs
needs getting to the Internet.  Although you may see evidence of the space
by a traceroute, it serves no direct purpose for you Internet flow (I.e.
Your next hop address from your CPE will be the CMTS interface/IP in most
cases).

So, back to your point, whereas 240/4 may be somewhat usable on the CM
side in the future, the CPE space is what's in question here.

Regards,

Victor K

Sure, the 240/ space wouldn't be useful as a source of addresses for
_customer-owned_ equipment - but could it be useful elsewhere inside an
ISP's
network? (And perhaps also as a source of addresses for CPE equipment
which
_will_ tolerate being given a 240/ space address, although I concede that
may
be very few boxes, at least at first.)

   Noel