Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-03 22:26:27
Noel,

Opinion from an operator.  There is a difference, and the reality is that
the space is unlikely to be used by enterprises and consumers.

Here is the difference.  RFC1918 has been out (defined) for a long time,
so it's well know by operators, enterprise folks and some consumers.
There is a possibility that some "smart" netadmins may try and use the
space, but nothing stops them form squatting on non-RFC1918 today anyway
(and dealing with any conflicts that arise).

There is a big difference if a consumer and an ISP has a conflict because
both are [validly] using the same RFC1918 space vs. if a Consumer and an
ISP conflict using special assigned space.

Regards,

Victor K

On 11-12-03 8:36 PM, "Noel Chiappa"
<jnc(_at_)mercury(_dot_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

   > From: Doug Barton <dougb(_at_)dougbarton(_dot_)us>

   > This argument has been raised before, but IMO the value is exactly
   > zero. The fact that you have a finger to wag at someone doesn't make
   > the costs of dealing with the conflict any smaller.

Perhaps. But I don't know the ISPs' business as well as they do. So I'd
like
to hear their views on this point. (They may well have considered this
point
before deciding to ask for CGN space, and decided the space was still
enough
use to be worth it.)

   Noel