Re: "class E" (was: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request)

2011-12-06 19:53:18

On Dec 5, 2011, at 4:58 PM, David Conrad wrote:

On Dec 5, 2011, at 1:13 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
this is a much stronger argument for a "dear customer, either renumber or
upgrade your
hardware" position

I'd imagine the vast majority of the customers of ISPs who are facing this
issue would react either with anger or non-comprehension if presented with
such a position. If you were running such a network, would you risk it?

Precisely. This proposition would result in both (1) increased support costs*,
and (2) irritated customers that decide to switch ISPs rather than renumber or
upgrade. We can't (realistically) expect ISPs to choose this.

The sad / funny thing is that result #2 rewards ISPs that use squat space or
globally unique blocks...

Cheers,
-Benson

* - e.g. 30-60 min toll-free phone call with a technician, which might actually
cost more than the profit margin on some residential broadband services