Re: "class E" (was: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request)

2011-12-06 10:53:57
Mark,

On 12/5/11 10:38 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
It's not that the CPE's can't renumber. The ISP are already using RFC
1918, in good faith, internally to talk to the management interfaces
of modems so using RFC 1918 is forcing the ISP's to renumber out of
whichever RFC 1918 block that is choosen for this purpose. Customers
that are using RFC 1918 addresses, in good faith, are being force to
renumber because the IETF is changing the rules retrospectively.

This overstates the case, or at least shows confusion over what we meant
by the term "enterprise" in RFC-1918.  I don't know about the other
authors, but I meant an enterprise that was an end user, and
specifically *not* a service provider.   Nevertheless, SPs *are* using
the space today.  That is the world in which we live, no matter what
1918 says.  What, then, is the best approach to deal with the conflict
(if it exists– see Rob Elz's note)?

Eliot