RE: FCC Names Henning Schulzrinne Chief Technology Officer

2011-12-19 19:31:26
It's a great appointment and the IETF community should rightfully be
thrilled and excited.

I'm a cross posting a note I made to the RAI DISPATCH List.

There are interesting things going on with core Layer 7 services and itsnot
US centric. Its is the beginning of the transition of the entire real time
communications service to IP networks.

********

And yours truly was the opening act at the Workshop.

Henning is absolutely right here.

If there was ever a time for the RAI community to reach out the policy folks
its now.

BTW if you really want to understand what is going on here you can add this
to your holiday reading list.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1122/FCC-11-1
61A1.pdf

War and Peace without the plot. If it seems overwhelming, it is but
regulators have to deal with the law as it is, not as they would prefer it
to be.

Though some of these issues are US specific I would suspect that other
national jurisdictions will start to take up these issues in the upcoming
months and years.

There are very relevant technical issues our community might have to deal
with or certainly clarify. The above order specifically calls out non
modification of the SIP headers by forwarding elements as it might relate to
billing data such as Calling Party Number or SS7 Charge number.