RE: FCC Names Henning Schulzrinne Chief Technology Officer

2011-12-20 02:18:59
Henning's encouraging words on the DISPATCH mailing list to get us more
involved in the discussions in the regulatory environment are timely.
Not only do we see the transition of voice technologies from the PSTN
over to IP but there are plenty of other debates where technical input
could be helpful.

The information flow of course goes into two directions.

1) We have many cases where IETF work needs to be explained to others
who are far less involved in the development of technical standards. As
an example take a look at the privacy and security ("Cyber Security")
discussions.

2) There are cases where work is created due to regulatory requirements.
The most recent example that comes to my mind is the IETF PAWS working
group.

While many of us had been quite reluctant to reach out to a
non-technical community (and the regulatory community in particular) it
may be useful to re-think that approach. There are many ways to share
information about the work we do and to also get feedback. Many
regulatory bodies issue "call for comments" and would be interested to
hear the views of those who develop the technology. I frequently meet
IETF participants at workshops and conferences were we keep other
academic communities and members of other standards organizations
up-to-date but the interaction with regulators and other government
bodies is different. A high level presentation that puts our work in a
broader context is often more useful than a detailed technical snapshot.

I am sure that some of you will now get worried because of the believe
that the technology we develop in the IETF is "just a building block"
and therefore "deployment neutral". If you indeed believe that then you
may want to look at the following write-up:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-morris-policy-cons-00

Ciao
Hannes