Re: Requirements for improving IETF remote participation

2012-01-06 14:41:32
On Fri Jan  6 19:51:26 2012, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM, SM <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net> wrote:
> At 08:48 06-01-2012, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>>
>> I say email addresses should be required because
>

> There are XMPP identities (JID).  That unfortunately does not map to a > participant's email address as Jabber never reached "must have" status.

True. Acquiring data to make that mapping would be useful, but this
might to too much to
require.

XEP-0054 provides a method for discovering any email address the owner of the jid has provided.

It's very widely supported, although whether people have placed an email address into their vCard is entirely up to them.

(Also, JIDs look like, and might even be, the same as an email address, however they're fully internationalized, and have different resitrictions. Nevertheless, as a stable identifier for a person, they're pretty good, relatively hard to spoof, and almost as easy to obtain.)

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net