Re: Forthcoming draft: draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions

2012-01-26 17:36:13
I appreciate that there need to be disincentives to infringing the IPR policy,
but I'm a little wary of the idea of codifying a system of sanctions.  Mainly
for the sorts of "gaming the system" thinking they engender:
-- Is the benefit of infringing worse than the cost of the sanction?
-- If it's not sanctionable, it must be ok!

Plus, if there are sanctions, then you need a judgement process to decide when
the sanctions will be applied.  Is the IETF set up for that?

Rather than bright lines and clear sanctions, it seems like a general culture
of conservatism, staying far away from things that could possibly be construed
as violations, would be more in tune with the way other things work at the IETF.

No real answers here, just expressing a gut reaction.

--Richard