Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-09 10:33:36
At 03:03 PM 1/30/2012, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the following document:
- 'IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared CGN Space'
 <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> as a BCP

On its December 15, 2011 telechat, the IESG reviewed version 10 of this
document and requested various changes. These changes are reflected in
the draft version 14 and the IESG now solicits community input on the
changed text only. Please send substantive comments to the
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
mailing lists by 2012-02-16. Exceptionally, comments may be sent to

Is that a two-weeks Last Call?

Will the determination of consensus be made only on the basis of this Last Call?

In Section 3:

  "A Service Provider can number the interfaces in question from
   legitimately assigned globally unique address space.  While this
   solution poses the fewest problems, it is impractical because
   globally unique IPv4 address space is in short supply."

Unique IPv4 address space is not in short supply in some regions. If it is globally in short supply, I gather that several regions have already reached their IPv4 Exhaustion phase. I haven't seen any announcements about that.

  "While the Regional Internet Registries (RIR) have enough address
   space to allocate a single /10 to be shared by all Service Providers,
   they do not have enough address space to make a unique assignment to
   each Service Provider."

The above is incorrect as RIRs are still providing unique IPv4 assignments to service providers that request IPv4 addresses. On reading this draft, I conclude that as IPv4 addresses are nearly exhausted, the only option left is to deploy Carrier Grade NAT instead of requesting IPv4 addresses from a RIR.

For the determination of consensus, I do not support this proposal.

Regards,
-sm