Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-09 13:14:47
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:59, SM <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net> wrote:
Hi Chris,
At 08:57 AM 2/9/2012, Chris Grundemann wrote:

http://www.apnic.net/publications/news/2011/final-8

I am aware of the APNIC announcement.  That's one out of five regions.

My apologies, when you stated "I haven't seen any announcements about
that." I thought you were not. Hopefully others found the link useful.

Are you proposing that every ISP on the planet be given a /10 for
inside CGN use, rather than one single /10 being reserved for this
purpose?

No.

If I am not mistaken, IPv4 assignments are on a needs basis.  In my previous
comment, I mentioned that RIRs are still providing unique IPv4 assignments
to service providers that request IPv4 addresses.  Even if the IANA pool was
not exhausted, it is unlikely that an ISP would get a /20 due to the
slow-start mechanism.

In the ARIN region, slow-start only applies to new-to-ARIN
organizations. Most (if not all) of the ISPs we're discussing here are
established entities and are not subject to slow start.

More to the point: I do not see giving everyone a unique bit of space
for inside CGN use as an efficient solution to the problem. Likewise,
waiting until we are completely out of IPv4 space before reacting to
the problems that IPv4 free pool exhaustion WILL cause seems _very_
unlikely to produce positive results.

Cheers,
~Chris

Regards,