Re: Backwards compatibility myth [Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt>]

2012-02-13 18:50:07
IPv4 provides no mechanism whatever for addresses greater than 32 bits.
Therefore, mathematically, there is no possible design for an IP with
bigger addresses that is transparently backwards compatible. We've known
that since at least 1992.

i guess you forget the discussion of variable length.  i hope we don't
have to rehash it here.

decisions were made.  some were quite bad.  v6 had some real zingers.
remember tla/nla?  no feature parity, such as dhcp (a war which has not
finished)?  it is almost as if it was designed to fail.

randy