re: [core] Last Call: <draft-ietf-core-link-format-11.txt> (CoRE Link Format) to Proposed Standard

2012-02-16 10:47:40
This is less a substantive comment but one more on process??..

Here is the history of WGLC:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/core/current/msg02427.html

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/core/current/msg01414.html

Here is the history:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-link-format/history/

A couple of points:
1)  I work in a commercial group (ZigBee Alliance) using IETF standards for
commercial deployment.  We have several work groups interested in CoAP but
were waiting for a stable version to determine whether it was usable or not
for their application (things like home automation, commercial automation).
We had assumed that since the original WGLC (rev ­02) and since there were
multiple iterations on the document (see the history) that the document was
not final.
2)  The second WGLC was only 1 week in duration and occurred over the US
Thanksgiving holiday.  I completely missed that.  Even so, there were 3 more
revisions after that so not sure it was obvious that this was actually the
final WGLC for the document.

I mention the above since I think it would be useful to actually have a full
1 month last call on this document.  I think there were several of us that
were surprised by the referral of the document to the IESG and who were
planning to do a final review at WGLC (which apparently we missed?.).

Also, is it normal to have so many revisions after WGLC?   Having WGLC in
Jan. 2011 on rev ­02 and then the version referred to IESG as rev ­12 a year
later seems strange.

Thanks for your consideration,

Don Sturek