Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-rmt-flute-revised-13.txt> (FLUTE - File Delivery over Unidirectional Transport) to Proposed Standard

2012-02-20 13:50:23
On 2012-02-11 01:48, The IESG wrote:

The IESG has received a request from the Reliable Multicast Transport WG
(rmt) to consider the following document:
- 'FLUTE - File Delivery over Unidirectional Transport'
   <draft-ietf-rmt-flute-revised-13.txt>  as a Proposed Standard

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2012-02-24. Exceptionally, comments
may be
sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case, please retain the

Here are a few comments, mainly of editorial nature:

Below my review notes; just mechanical checks, and some checks on the relation to HTTP header fields...:

Section 3:

"File name (usually, this can be concluded from the URI). In the above example: "file.txt"."

...or the Content-Disposition header field (RFC 6266).

"File type, expressed as MIME media type. In the above example: "text/plain"."

s/MIME media type/internet media type/

3.4.2:

"Where the MD5 message digest is described, the attribute "Content-MD5" MUST be used for the purpose as defined in [RFC2616]."

Note that Content-MD5 is gone from HTTPbis.

XML-Schema: I believe the spec should state what to do with invalid input. Are there extension points (like ignoring unknown elements in extension namespaces)?

"It is RECOMMENDED that the new attributes applied in the FDT are in the format of MIME fields and are either defined in the HTTP/1.1 specification [RFC2616] or another well-known specification."

As this is a normative requirement it needs to be clarified what header fields are used? HTTP? MIME?

Also, well-known is irrelevant, we have a registry for header fields.

8.1:

Actually, what's requested is a URN for the XML namespace ("urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:fdt"). That's fine; I don't think the XML schema needs to be registered. Otherwise, see <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3688#section-3.2>.

8.2:

Has the media type registration been reviewed on ietf-types?

8.3:

You need to define the IANA procedure (see RFC 5226).

Appendix B:

The example contains a schemaLocation with a relative (URI) reference ("ietf-flute-fdt.xsd"). That's misleading, right?