On 02/26/2012 12:44 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

On 26/02/2012, at 11:40 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

Mark,

I was going to respond blow-by-blow but there's not much
point in that, other than to say that your mail seems to
me a tad over the top.

Sorry if you think so. I'm VERY sensitive to the risks that we're undertaking
here,

Fair 'nuff. I consider my self fairly insensitive generally
which of course means I don't care what others think about
that:-)

> and I want to be crystal-clear about what we're going to do.
> As I saw it, your path forward was a risky one.

I don't get that. I'd be interested in why it appears that way
to you and if there are ways to reduce risk but still try
make progress on security stuff.

(Maybe you misinterpreted me describing what might happen
as some kind of threat to try slow people down or something,
I don't know. I do know that I don't do that kind of thing
and if I tried I probably wouldn't be very good at it anyway;-)

It may not have been your intent; my concern was that the effect would be the
same.

Don't get that either. I think I just pointed out the obvious
based on the proposed charter - at the point of the next proposed
re-charter, there'll be IETF/IESG review.

Anyway, I think we should focus on a way forward that attempts
progress on what we appear to agree is the desirable outcome:

They are VERY VERY VERY interested in security, as are many other
people in the broader community. If the IETF were to come up with a
viable proposal that solves their problems, they would beat down this
organisation's doors.

I proposed a plan that I think might allow us to make progress
on that. I believe we could.

OK, great.

Could you please explain why you think tying this effort to HTTP/2.0 is
necessary to achieve that? To me that's the critical bit, and I still haven't
seen the reasoning (perhaps I missed it).

That's a fair question that doesn't have a good and quick
answer, and some of the argument applies to the httpbis wg
and not to HTTP/2.0 per se.

Caveats: this is probably something that needs more bandwidth
than mail; most of the points below were already raised by
others on this thread (though I didn't go back through all
the mail yet) and this is not in any particular ordering.

- We've not really improved this in over a decade. Its time.
- The community's appreciation of better security has
  changed in that time as well so maybe its more tractable
  now and we've more experience of real attacks.
- Improving security after the fact is not a good plan.
- Thinking a separate security WG could provide an answer
  that'd be adopted seems less likely to work to some. (It
  does seem more likely to work for some others admittedly.)
- A backwards-incompatible change (if needed) could be
  done much more easily when changing HTTP. Its at least
  time to explore the area with that possibility in mind..
- A scheme less susceptible to phishing that got deployed
  could be very valuable. Its not ridiculous to think that
  might require breaking backwards compatibility somehow.

So, a bunch of things. Maybe none individually compelling.
But arguably taken together sufficiently convincing that
not attempting again to do something here would really be
inexcusable.

And yes, I do recognise that attempting to solve this does
add some risk. Most good things do.

S.

Thanks,