Re: DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-02-28 18:53:02
Scott Kitterman wrote:

If your DNS hosting company doesn't support them find another one
or complain to them.  You are paying them to host your DNS services
and this is a basic part of the job.

To what hosting company should I switch if I want to publish SPF records of Type SPF?

SMTP hosting systems are not stuck using their ISP's primary name servers currently limited in their customer's UI management of domain(s) zone file(s).

You could always use your own name server or use another that is more flexible. No need to switch ISPs. Some may even allow you to do offline editing (export/import) of your zone files.

If you don't wish to have your own primary DNS server, there are many out there you can switch to, some even free, and perhaps for only using a faster, more 24x7 reliable name server than their ISP's name servers who could be tier limiting the customer.

I've gone through this issue a # of times just with SRV with customers and their ISPs was limited in the UI in some way. Not an issue today with SRV, but the idea of installing or switching the name servers was always a last recourse option considered.

Yet, even if the ISP or with your own name server you added the SPF type, that still didn't mean all query paths taken would be successful. It could work 100% with testing short distance paths and locally, but from a remote different path? It may not work. That was the early RFC3597 issues I experienced that basically made you just punt of the idea of using new RR type with the obvious overhead waste. But my experience today, the RFC3597 issues are much less. I would not hesitate to finally enabling SPF type as a default option in our wares, at least give a new look for reasonable feasible results on par with the migration that has materialized.

--
HLS