RE: Last Call: <draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point-03.txt>(Allocationof an Associated Channel Code Point for Use byITU-T Ethernetbased OAM) to Informational RFC

2012-03-01 12:34:44
To make sure that my concerns are not missed, I attach them:

--
Hi,

I cannot support the publication of the document in its current version.

I have the following concerns:

*       It is indicated that the channel is intended to be used to carry
Ethernet based OAM messages. It is not clear why there is a need for
ACH. PWs can be used to transmit Ethernet OAM.
If the intention is to use the channel for OAM messages for operating
MPLS-TP based networks, the IETF *already* defined a solution for
MPLS-TP OAM and I expect to see first a technical *justification* why a
second solution is needed. In addition, I would expect to see
*references to the arguments* raised in
draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations.

*       It is not clear what the maturity status of G.8113.1 is. It
seems that the document was not approved by SG15 and the discussion was
deferred to WTSA. This indicates that there is *no consensus* for the
approval of G.8113.1. A code point should not be allocated before a
consensus/decision is reached in the ITU-T and before the document is
mature and approved. I do not think it is appropriate to allocate a code
point and try to force a resolution in the ITU-T.

*       I find a contradiction in the draft. In one place it is
mentioned: "These Ethernet based OAM messages and procedures, address
the OAM functional requirements defined in [RFC5860]. Other message
types should not be carried behind this code point." In another place it
is mentioned: "all ITU-T Recommendations are subject to revision.
Therefore, the code point allocated by this document may be used for
future versions of [G.8113.1].". The last statement opens the door for
the definition of additional messages in G.8113.1 in the following
versions, for example, for APS (supporting linear or ring protection
mechanisms) and by this creates two solutions for other mechanisms as
well.

The use of the code point can go much beyond its original purpose and it
will hide other messages....a code point should not be allocated at this
point at all, but specifically not for unknown usage that may be defined
in future versions of G.8113.1.

Best regards,
Nurit
---

<draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point-03.txt>(Allocationof an Associated
Channel Code Point for Use byITU-T Ethernetbased OAM) to Informational
RFC

Russ,
Independently of that point, draft-betts in its current version has many
issues....
Many clarifications are needed before it can be considered....please see
my mail for the details.
Best regards,
Nurit