Re: Last Call: <draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point-03.txt> (Allocation of an Associated Channel Code Point for Use by ITU-T Ethernet based OAM) to Informational RFC

2012-03-01 13:12:11
Right now, there is no ITU-T approved document to reference.
I am certainly not an expert on ITU-T process, but my
understanding is that earliest that we could see an approved
G.8113.1 is December 2012.  My point is that we don't want to
assign a code point until the ITU-T approves their document.
However, if we are willing to assign a code point to G.8113.1
once it is approved, then this would be an approach where the
code point assignment would block on the approval of the
normative reference.

I like this approach from the political point of view.  With
this approach the IETF tells the ITU-T that if and only if
they are able to achieve consensus on G.8113.1, then a code
point will be assigned.
FWIW, this seems entirely appropriate to me.  If we do it this
way, I think it is important to note --for the benefit of those
more historically involved with the ITU and others-- that we
routinely block our own documents on normative references to
work that is still in progress and, usually, do not do related
code point allocations until the blocking referenced documents
are ready.  Once the present I-D is judged to be sufficiently
ready, this approach would therefore be IETF approval and a
formal guarantee to the ITU that a code point will be allocated
if an when G.8113.1 is approved and published, but not
assignment of that code point until the referenced base document
is finished.

Completely normal procedurally.

To be clear John our normal requirement would be that the
technical community achieved consensus that the base document
was ready. I have never seen ITU-T consensus on the contents
of G.8113.1 at any meeting that I have observed. What in your
view is the criteria for determining that  G.8113.1 has achieved
consensus?

This is not an IETF problem, and I do not think that the IETF ought to be
discussing the internal workings of the ITU-T process.  The point is to come up
with a mechanism that allows the code point to be assigned if and only if the
ITU-T does come to a consensus by whatever means is allowed by their own
process.

Russ