RE: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-03-08 09:02:42
Murray S. Kucherawy <msk(_at_)cloudmark(_dot_)com> wrote:

I looked at least at the titles of all the documents that update 1035,
and none of them appear to be related to the above.  So where should we
be looking?

The only thing I have found that implies NOTIMP doesn't apply to queries
for unknown RR types is in RFC 4074, "Common Misbehavior Against DNS
Queries for IPv6 Addresses":

4.3.  Return Other Erroneous Codes

   Other authoritative servers return a response with erroneous response
   codes other than RCODE 3 ("Name Error").  One such RCODE is 4 ("Not
   Implemented"), indicating that the servers do not support the
   requested type of query.

But I guess that NOTIMP *would* be an appropriate response if the request
is for an unknown QTYPE between 128 and 255.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
Trafalgar: Mainly northeasterly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 in southeast Fitzroy.