Re: Issues relating to managing a mailing list...

2012-03-16 01:28:43
Russ Housley wrote:
Some suggestions have been made about the IETF mail lists.
There is a way for mailman to strip attachments and put them
in a place for downloading with a web browser.  This would be
a significant change to current practice, so the community
needs to consider this potential policy change.

What do you think?

Russ

We will never be able to satisfy all unless there an option to do so.

One approach is to keep an focus on what the real issue is as presented by the question and just making a change to address this only.

The other, less focus, forward thinking approach is to use the opportunity to begin moving the IETF or perhaps "catch up" with new or existing Group Ware communications directions the IETF has yet to leverage.

So I think it may help to be specific on what we are having to work with. If mailman is the only consideration as the current tool, then the solution is based on what is it capable of. Is the question dealing with a System Wide policy or does it include the option to make it per user (member of a list)? Off hand, the latter is the more democratic solution IFF mailman offers his option.

If it is open ended question, then there are other solutions that addresses all the concerns - old and new. However, that is the more expensive solution.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com