Re: [AVTCORE] IPR requirements in document write-up

2012-03-21 13:43:07
[I am removing the avt and payload WG lists from this, so they can
keep at their work; feel free to direct people from those lists to the
IETF discussion list.  And thanks for moving this to the right lists.]

Hi, Stephan.
I think we're mostly in agreement, then, judging from what you say.
The gap may be a misunderstanding of what the PROTO writeup is for; it
has two purposes:

1. To provide information to the IESG, which might be important for
the IESG to consider as it reviews the document.

2. To make sure the document shepherd (usually, but not always, one of
the working group chairs) has reviewed and considered certain things.

That means that the writeup is NOT meant to set or enforce policy, and
there aren't any "right" or "wrong" answers, except that "Oh, gee, I
never thought about that," is probably never right, and the response
to it should be to go think about it.

Note in particular that BCPs 78 & 79 and Note Well have legal
blessing, the PROTO template does not, and the writeup is not there to
be a legal document.

For reference, the writeup templates live here:
https://www.ietf.org/iesg/ (see the links at the bottom of the
right-hand column).  The two questions we're talking about are these:

   (7) Has each author confirmed that any and all appropriate IPR
   disclosures required for full conformance with the provisions of BCP 78
   and BCP 79 have already been filed. If not, explain why.

   (8) Has an IPR disclosure been filed that references this document?
   If so, summarize any WG discussion and conclusion regarding the IPR
   disclosures.

...and there was discussion of the wording of those questions within
the IESG and with the WG chairs before finalizing it.  For the record,
not all the chairs liked the wording that's there.

What the IESG wants in response to these questions is not just "Yes"
or "No", but (where appropriate) an explanation of what IPR-related
things happened with respect to the document the writeup is for.  If
there are no IPR issues, the writeup should say that: "There are no
known IPR issues with this document, and the shepherd has re-confirmed
that with the editors and the working group," or some such.

But t also could say something like this: "Shortly after the document
was adopted by the working group, participant Herkermer Biffelwogg
said that he was aware of some IPR that might cover the document.  The
working group decided to continue working on the document, no IPR
disclosure was ever filed, and Mr Biffelwogg says he has no further
information about any IPR claims."  Or perhaps this: "The Frobozz
Magic AVT Company filed an IPR disclosure on the -06 version of the
document."  Concerned about the timing of the disclosure, the working
group fought bitterly for a few weeks about it, but ultimately came to
rough consensus to accept the Frobozz terms and continue.  The
discussion resulted in some changes to the language in the draft, and
a few participants remain unhappy with the result.  No one has said
they intend to appeal the decision."

See what I'm getting at?  Information for the IESG, and making sure
that the shepherd is on top of things.  No policy changes, subtle or
blatant.  And that's true in general with the PROTO writeup.  There
are many places where a yes/no answer could instead be done as an
explanation that really gives us an idea of what happened and how the
working group came to the result that it did.  That information can
really help when the IESG members do their reviews, and perhaps have
similar questions that were long ago answered.

Barry

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 14:09, Stephan Wenger <stewe(_at_)stewe(_dot_)org>