Re: [AVTCORE] IPR requirements in document write-up

2012-03-21 14:00:34
Stephan Wenger <stewe(_at_)stewe(_dot_)org> writes:

   (1) Are you aware of any IPR that applies to <insert document name>?
(2) If so,
   has this IPR been disclosed in compliance with IETF IPR rules (see RFCs
3979,
   4879, 3669 and 5378 for more details)?

For the majority of the documents I am working on, the answer to question
(1) would be yes.  The answer to question (2) would be quite often no.

Based on my interpretation of the policy RFCs, I am in full compliance
with language and spirit of the policy.  I'm not doing anything fishy.  I
just don't talk about third party IPR, which is my right under the IETF's
IPR policy.

RFC 3669 section 5.7:

says for example

   It is good to notify the IETF of relevant IPR claims even when they
   are not one's own, and [6] says to do so "as soon as possible".

My interpretation has always been that partcipants are strongly
encouraged to notify about third party patents.  Withholding such
information seems contrary to the spirit even if not the letter of the
guidelines.

There are additional advice given here:

/Simon