Re: IPv6 Zone Identifiers Considered Hateful

2012-03-21 15:44:40

On Mar 19, 2012, at 11:55 AM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:

I've obviously not been doing all my homework, and RFC 4007 slipped my
attention.  Worse, for all the communication my IPv6 nodes are doing amongst
themselves using link-local addresses, it's never really been much more than
a hastily-justified curiosity why, when I ping one from the other using
link-local-scoped addresses, I have to put in this zone identifier (%ifname
on BSD and Linux).

To be honest, I'm still not sure I understand the argument for a zone
identifier.

From MIF's perspective, if the same prefix is placed on multiple interfaces,
the system might see peers using a given address on multiple interfaces, and
at least some devices might be expected to route between the interfaces.
Architecturally, this can be easy to solve or hard. We have any number of
cases (think about PPP for example) in which we bundle multiple interfaces
under a common super-interface and "do something". In PPP Multilink, we might
segment messages into smaller frames, distribute them across a number of
interfaces to the same place, and reconstitute the original message on the
other side. In this case, it seems that we want IP to use two layers of
interfaces, a virtual one instantiated by multiple lower layer interfaces, and
place the prefix on the virtual interface. When we are wondering what MAC
address should be associated with a given IP address, we ask each of the lower
layer interfaces, and if we get a result on one of them we know where we're
going. !
 The big issue will be routing among the physical interfaces - something
required for it to be seamless and yet not as trivial as it might sound.