Re: FW: Last Call:<draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point-03.txt>(Allocationof an Associated Channel Code Point for Use byITU-T Ethernetbased OAM) to Informational RFC

2012-03-22 16:08:00
Rui,

Perhaps more familiarity with the related history over the last
several years would help?  I can recommend the MPLS list archives.
Otherwise, I find this remarkably disingenuous.

This is a case of a second solution that was clearly rejected by the
MPLS working group (despite in-person histrionics causing the ADs to
have to threaten to close down the WG meeting).  Then the solution was
taken to the ITU study group - where it could also not get enough
traction for their normal process.  It is still not approved as a
recommendation.

To imply that the IETF should simply trust the allocated ACH code
point to not be abused both seems optimistic and sets a dreadful
precedent.

Making an allocation available for an approved recommendation version
is a tolerable way of reducing the deliberate use of an experimental
value.   Handing the keys over for any conceivable use, or even just
the uses in the OAM RFC that have been adequately met by IETF
WG-consensus based technology, does not seem appropriate.

Alia

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Rui Costa <RCosta(_at_)ptinovacao(_dot_)pt>