Re: RFC 6592 on The Null Packet

2012-04-03 14:06:43

"Elwyn" == Elwyn Davies <elwynd(_at_)dial(_dot_)pipex(_dot_)com> writes:
    >>> That is nice, since I believe that doing so would create a
    >>> "black hole packet" that would attract and collapse the whole
    >>> Internet.  On the plus side, we would not need to worry anymore
    >>> about IPv6...

    >> There's your RFC for next April.

    Elwyn> Of course some theorists believe that all communication links
    Elwyn> carry a continual traffic of Null Packets resulting from the
    Elwyn> scalar TOS Field that pervades the Internet and occasionally
    Elwyn> quantum fluctuations result in pairs of virtual packets (such
    Elwyn> as ICMP Echo and Echo Responses) being created and traveling
    Elwyn> off in opposite directions.  Normally most of these virtual
    Elwyn> packets recombine without being observed, but occasionally
    Elwyn> they result in unexpected congestion when an encounter with a
    Elwyn> router collapses the superposition of protocol states in
    Elwyn> which these virtual packets normally exist.

What's the real take home for this?

If funding for big-physics projects (like SCC) had been higher in the
1980s and 1990s, we wouldn't have had so many smart geeks looking for
something to do, and the Internet would be much behind where it is now.

(my BSc.Physics 1996 was delayed three years by startup.com)

] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.