Re: RFC 6592 on The Null Packet

2012-04-03 19:29:44

On Apr 2, 2012, at 6:33 PM, Elwyn Davies wrote:

On 02/04/12 18:53, Scott Brim wrote:
On 04/02/12 03:12, Riccardo Bernardini allegedly wrote:
In the Introduction I read

  "Mind you, the Null Packet is not created by compressing a packet until it
   disappears into nothingness."

That is nice, since I believe that doing so would create a "black hole
packet" that would attract and collapse the whole Internet.  On the
plus side, we would not need to worry anymore about IPv6...
There's your RFC for next April.
Of course some theorists believe that all communication links carry a
continual traffic of Null Packets resulting from the scalar TOS Field that
pervades the Internet and occasionally quantum fluctuations result in pairs
of virtual packets (such as ICMP Echo and Echo Responses) being created and
traveling off in opposite directions.  Normally most of these virtual packets
recombine without being observed, but occasionally they result in unexpected
congestion when an encounter with a router collapses the superposition of
protocol states in which these virtual packets normally exist.

You're talking about the hard to detect  Biggs Bozon packets as first theorized
by Billy  Biggs back in '99 and for which he specified a distributed detection
experiment hidden inside NAT traversal procedures?

--
Dean