RE: Proposed IESG Statement on the Conclusion of Experiments

2012-04-21 09:45:01
Hi Randy,

Both you and Brian have rightly noted that the proposed IESG statement changes
neither process nor policy. It is intended to direct the community's attention
to a problem that is small today, but promises to grow with time.

Please review the list of experimental RFCs at the following URL:

- http://www.rfc-editor.org/categories/rfc-experimental.html

I am willing to bet that you laughed at least once while scanning this list. I
got a chuckle from RFC 1475, the IPv7 experiment. But seriously, I identified
nearly a dozen RFCs that fell into one of the following categories:

- should have been obsolete by subsequent Standards Track documents, but weren't
- are more than 10 years old and have not gained traction, generally because an
alternative approach has gained traction and become widely deployed (e.g., RFC
1393 - Traceroute Using an IP Option).

The proposed IESG statement encourages community members to terminate their own
experiments when they have clearly ended. In many cases, the experimenter moves
on before the experiment is terminated. In that case, the cleanup chore is left
to others.

The proposed IESG statement *does not* seek to expedite the termination of any
experiment. Its only goal is to identify experiments that clearly have
terminated.

IMO, it is important that we label terminated experiments as such. Otherwise,
in years to come, it will become even more difficult to distinguish between
active experiments that deserve community attention and old cruft that can
safely be ignored.

                                                Ron