Re: [apps-discuss] Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-about-uri-scheme-04.txt> (The "about" URI Scheme) to Proposed Standard

2012-04-23 05:01:18
Hello,

As I guess no other initial comments are going to come, let me present my
opinion on the raised issues.

With respect to Standards Track - I actually agree this document is not to
be on Standards Track, as this can't be standard anyway.  But I can't agree
the draft must be published as Informational, because in RFC 2026 meaning
Informational RFCs are to make a record of an 'outer-space' protocol to
IETF.  But here are some other thoughts of mine:

I should note that 'about' URI scheme is very similar to 'view-source' URI,
which I once proposed to document (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yevstifeyev-view-source-uri/).
After discussion on uri-review list we reached consensus on that it isn't
necessary to document the scheme in separate document, and an only template
may be enough to enter a scheme in the IANA registry (
http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes/prov/view-source).

I should also note that the document which is now in IETF Last Call was
primarily created for HTML5 specification, and, specifically, to allow
standardizing 2 'about' URIs which are used in HTML5 draft.  There wasn't
the specification for 'about' URI scheme, and I guess somebody though IETF
has an authority to provide one.  This is very disputable, as 'about'
scheme is not a protocol, or anything else, but just a now-common internal
tool in some software.

Now, re-reading the draft, I see it's not a standard as we understand it,
and it can't be.  So, if we take this into account, let's answer:

Do we need to document 'about' URI at all, or we just need to enter it in
the registry 'for the record', or we need to do nothing?  It's very distant
from Internet Standard of any kind, and from IETF as well.  I also think
HTML5 as standard itself, and I hope it'll be widely recognized as
standard, may specify the two 'about' URIs it needs without our (IETF's)
help.  Any thoughts?..

Last Call ends on 2 May, and I hope we'll be able to reach some consensus
on this.

Mykyta Yevstifeyev

19 апреля 2012 г. 22:47 пользователь Andrew Sullivan
<ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com