Re: 'Geek' image scares women away from tech industry ? The Register

2012-04-30 16:31:41
My own anecdotes.

Yes, it starts early.

When I was 3 I announced that I was going to be a physicist when I grew
up.  WHY?

1 - a physicist has a chair that  is on WHEELS, and spins ROUND and ROUND
2 - a physicist has a blackboard with COLORED CHALK
3 (and MOST important) a physicist has a CANDY machine in the hall outside
his office.

Well, I didn't become a physicist, but those features certainly put
technology in a good light from an early age.!!

Second, while the statistics may say something else, I find MORE WOMEN, in
MORE RESPECTED positions, at IETF than in my work environment.

Janet