RE: 'Geek' image scares women away from tech industry ? The Register

2012-04-30 17:26:31
From: Mary Barnes [mary(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)barnes(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]

Here is an article that does a far better job of explaining the
situation than I did:
http://www.todaysengineer.org/2011/May/women-in-engineering.asp

The largest reason women leave engineering is due to the work
environment and perceived lack of support from colleagues.

Even the summary of the study that is given in the article is a
fascinating read, with a lot of information on the subject that I've
never seen before.

Who would have expected:
    The study also found that 15 percent of women who earn undergraduate
    degrees in engineering never entered the profession at all.  Many of
    them went on to enter the legal or medical professions or other fields
    where their engineering education served them well.

The full study is at:
http://www.studyofwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/NSF_Women-Full-Report-0314.pdf

That link appears to be broken. The link that worked for me is:

  http://studyofwork.com/files/2011/03/NSF_Women-Full-Report-0314.pdf

                                Ned