Re: Colloquial language [Re: Last Call: <draft-hoffman-tao4677bis-15.txt> (The Tao of IETF: A Novice's Guide to the Internet Engineering Task Force) to Informational RFC]

2012-05-31 07:33:53
On 2012-05-31 04:58, Stephen Farrell wrote:
I'm with Brian and Yoav on this. I don't see a need
to change here. And I do think we might lose something
if we become too PC. If a bunch of non-native speakers
did say "yes, I found that made the document less
useful" then I'd be more convinced that all these
changes were worth it.

Another non-native English speaker here. Didn't have any problem understanding the Tao. Its level of language made me more interested in the IETF. Although my level of English is better than other non-native speakers'. Non-native != bad at English.

I think colloquialisms may often be as hard to understand as excellent but seldom-used vocabulary. Should we also "dumb down" our level of language? Such as this:
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_English_Wikipedia

I don't think so.

Thanks,
Simon