Re: Making the Tao a web page

2012-05-31 20:32:40

--On Thursday, May 31, 2012 16:04 -0700 Paul Hoffman
<paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org> wrote:

On May 31, 2012, at 8:19 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

(1) Establish the Tao as a modified Wiki, complete with live
HTML links to relevant documents and other relevant
discussions.. Provide some mechanism for comments to the
editor or even discussion that works better than the RFC
Errata process.  Turn maintenance of that page over to a
volunteer or two (ideally someone young enough to learn a lot
from the process) or the Secretariat.   Before someone says
"cost", please calculate the costs to the community of an
extended Last Call in which people debate details of wording.

(2) Appoint Paul as chair of an editorial committee with zero
or more additional members to be appointed at his discretion
subject to advice and consent of the IESG.  That committee
gets to consider whether to make changes.  If they get it
wrong, they are subject to the community's normal forms of
abuse and, in principle, appeals.  That could add a bit of
work for the IESG but I suggest only a bit and less than
running a Last Call.

(3) Replace/ obsolete RFC 4677 by a document modeled on RFC
5000.  I.e., it should explain why we are maintaining the Tao
as one or more web pages and should provide a durable pointer
to how the web page can be found.

Works for me, other than it should not be a "wiki". It should
have one editor who takes proposed changes from the community
the same way we do it now. Not all suggestions from this
community, even from individuals in the leadership, are ones
that should appear in such a document.

Paul, that is precisely what I meant by "modified Wiki" and the
editorial committee comment.  Note that I was not only proposing
appointing you (in recognition both of doing a good job and of
the status quo) but giving you discretion over whether you
wanted a committee.   If that wasn't clear, I apologize.  If it
is clear now (whether it was before or not), kumbayah.

Simpler than the above: make it a web page (as Brian points
out, we already have a good URL), have one editor, have one
leadership person who approves non-trivial changes (I think
"IETF Chair" fits here well), have a "last modified" date on
it, and update it as needed. If there is consensus in the
community to do this, I'm happy to take on the HTMLizing and
skip the RFCizing for this round.

Wfm.  And also, I think, completely consistent with what I was
trying to suggest.  Make that "IETF Chair or designee" and you
are back to my editorial committee, modulo my desire to make you
the final authority unless extraordinary measures are taken
rather than adding to the required task list of the IETF Chair
or even the IESG more generally.

best,
   john